The Highway/Heavy Construction (HHC) certificate program utilizes a curriculum from the National Center for Construction Education and Research. Students complete 16 weeks of formal training, which includes both classroom instruction and hands-on training with an optional internship.
Introductory Craft Skills (4 weeks)
- Basic Safety, OSHA-10, CPR, and First Aid
- Introduction to Construction Math, Hand/Power Tools and Drawings
- Basic Rigging (ropes, chains, hoists, loaders, and cranes)
- Basic Communication and Employability Skills
HHC Level One (12 weeks)
- Trucks, Heavy Equipment, Cranes, and Forklifts
- Below Grade Construction and Earthmoving, Paving, Structures
- Teamwork, Following Directions, and Problem Solving
- Planning, Scheduling, Inspecting, Examining, and Recording
- Craftsmanship and Plant Operations
- Flagger Certification
- Commercial Driver’s License Permits and Testing for License
Optional Paid Internship (approx. 4 weeks)
After the successful completion of your coursework, many students go on to apply classroom theory on-the-job in a four-week, paid internship. During their internship, students continue to develop their interpersonal and work-related skills.
- High school graduation/ equivalency (if none, will be required to attend classes).
- 8th-grade reading and math levels
- Medical clearance/ physical tolerance
- 18 years of age or older
- Negative drug test for an internship
- Proof of a valid driver’s license
- Access to a reliable vehicle (waiver may be granted)
There are many ways you can apply your certification toward getting a great job. Here are just a couple of examples of jobs and salary ranges.
Paving, Surfacing, Tamping Operator:
Highway Maintenance Worker:
Missouri (Entry Salary)
Missouri (Avg Salary)
5-9% Growth expected 2014-2024
Benefits may be available for full-time, non-seasonal workers, such as sick leave, paid vacation, and health insurance. Some employers also provide a retirement plan. Extensive travel may be required.
*Missouri Economic Research Information Center